It does seem like March has started with a Madness that has nothing to do with college basketball. With so much happening in the world and with political tensions running high, the external irritation we feel can bleed into our own relationships if we let it. Discord in our relationships can lead to all sorts of health issues such as high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and stress. When we’re most upset, we might only see or believe that the other person we’re upset with is at fault. And we may just want to get our point across to that person or just want the other person to do what we say. But this doesn’t develop or maintain harmonious relationships.
Active listening is one thing you can improve within yourself that will help to create peace in your life and relationships. One of the things all of us crave is to be heard and understood.
How can you improve your listening skills to bring more harmony and health in your life?
A good beginning is to contemplate the difference between hearing someone and listening to someone. One of our senses is hearing. When sound reaches our ears, it sends signals that involve the processing of sound in the brain. Hearing is passive. You may hear a horn honk or a dog bark, and you really didn’t have to do much of anything to hear it if you were in the vicinity.
Listening, however, is an action we choose to take. It goes beyond simply hearing words. When we listen, we give our full attention to what is actually being said and the emotion behind it and we acknowledge those things. Jiddu Krishnamurti has so beautifully described this:
“When you are listening to somebody, completely, attentively,
then you are listening not only to the words,
but also to the feeling of what is being conveyed,
to the whole of it, not part of it.”
To start your active listening journey…the next time someone is talking tell yourself, “I’m going to listen to understand them first rather than to be understood.” The next step is to “reflect” back to the person what they say. Before you give your opinion or interrupt them, try understanding them first by saying, “ I hear what you’re saying. You think that…” and then restate what they’ve said in your own words. You’ll be surprised at the difference it makes in your conversations when people see that you’ve heard them. It increases appreciation and trust. If you continue to practice this over time, you’ll be amazed how much your child, your spouse, your partner, or your friend will share with you that you never knew.
Namaste (which means the light in me honors the light in you),
Master Certified Health and Wellness Coach/The Spa Manager & Director
Kitty’s Corner: “Selecting Makeup Right for Your Skin”
Many foundations and concealers can be too drying or too oily. I know….I’ve used many in my life. That’s why I’m excited to offer my clients SkinCeuticals DermaBlend. SkinCeuticals are experts at skin. I’ve carried their line at The Spa for a long time, especially to tackle difficult dermal problems. The makeup is my pick of the month because its application is ultra easy—done in less than one minute, and it blends beautifully into the skin without that oily look or drying sensation. After I put on the concealer and foundation, I apply their Glow Creator to highlight my cheekbones. I really am loving this product and think you will, too!! Come try it! It’s 25% off.
March 2019 Specials
Gift Card Special
Purchase a gift card this month for somebody special in your life and get 10% off our beautiful Tara Spa Therapy Loving box.Click here to purchase a Spa Central Coast Gift Card Click here to purchase Tara Spa Therapy Loving Box
Revitalize Me Special
Did January and February wipe you out? Get revitalized!! Allow us to pamper you with our Revitalize Me Package. Enjoy a comforting 15-minute foot soak in our beautiful meditation room. You’ll then be led to a 30-minute integrated massage where your professional therapist will work out those knots that the last two months created while leading you into relaxation bliss followed by a warm and soothing 30-minute far-infrared sauna session to help you burn calories and pull out unwanted toxins from your body. You’ll end your treatment with a 30-minute skin enhancer on your face to leave your skin radiant and revived for only $125. (Please call 805-591-7157 to book this package.)
Couple’s Massage Special
Since we’re talking about relationships this month, we’re offering a chance for you to come together with your sweetie for a relaxing, harmonious 60-minute Swedish Couples Massage. This “all-month” special includes a soothing foot soak with specialty “loving” bath salts from Tara Spa Therapy in our beautiful mediation room where you can sit side-by-side with your sweetie. You’ll then enter the couple’s room together with two of our wonderfully skilled therapists who will start your massage experience. You will receive a Loving Tara Spa Therapy box to take with you to continue the bonding at home and remind you of your time together. It includes specialty massage oil, salts and handcrafted soap. All for only $240.Click here to book March Couples Massage Special
Product Special for the Month
All The Spa Central Coast members will receive 25% off our SkinCeuticals DermaBlend makeup line.
Bulletin (New Stuff at The Spa)
- Geary Whiting, inductee in the Massage Hall of Fame (2005), will be our visiting specialty therapist for a few months this year. He’s making a special visit to The Spa Central Coast on March 12, March 26, April 2, April 16, April 23, May 7, May 21, and May 28 to perform Shiatsu Massage. For those of you not familiar with Shiatsu, it is a form of Japanese bodywork and based on the ideas of traditional Chinese Medicine. Japanese Ministry of Health describes it as applying pressure to the body to correct internal malfunctions, promote and maintain health, and treat specific diseases. The techniques used include stretching, holding, and most commonly, leading body weight into various points along key channels in the body. If you’ve never had a Shiatsu massage by Geary, you’re in for a real treat. He’s an expert! Payments need to be made directly to Geary at the time of treatment. Shiatsu massages are $155.
- Our NEW HOURS for 2019 are Monday-Thursday 10:00am-6:00pm and Friday-Saturday 9:00am-6:00pm. We are not going to open on the last Sunday of each month any longer due to a lack of people taking advantage of it.
- All of our therapists are now employees! We’re hoping to further grow The Spa. Although gratuities are not expected, they are certainly appreciated by our staff. On top of the fee that credit card companies charge, though, we now are required, since they are employees, to tax gratuities for our staff. Your dollar would go farther for our staff if you could leave any gratuities in cash.
- Family Menu & Family Plus Memberships (you can now add your partner and children to your membership). Children can be added for just $50 each child or teen. This must be done in The Spa.
Health & Wellness Classes
March Health & Nutrition Class
Come join Ali, Master Certified Health & Wellness Coach, for her 4-week, 90-minute health class based on Dr William Sears’s scientifically proven plan for feeling young and living longer. Dr Sears is a renown physician, nutrition expert, and author of 45 books. You will receive 4 workbooks and the book Prime Time Health. The workbooks cover the following topics: how your body makes its own medicine, why to make health your hobby, how to move waste from your waist, and how to live without pain and inflammation. Only $265 for all four 90-minute classes. Price includes the materials.Click here to register for March Health & Nutrition Class
Guided Meditation in our Meditation Room
Every Thursday from 9:00am-9:45am
Guided Meditation: This is led by Carmen Rose, who is certified in meditation and in yoga. Many credible, medical studies show that meditation slows aging in the brain, but it wasn’t until studies from UCLA’s School of Medicine revealed in 2015 that “On average, the brains of long-term meditators were 7.5 years younger at age 50 than the brains of non-meditators, and an additional 1 month and 22 days younger for every year after 50.”**
Do you want a younger brain and to dive deeper into your spirit? Come join us from 9:00am-9:45am every Thursday. It’s free for members. $5 for those who took Carmen’s 4-week January course and $8 for everyone else. Hit the button below to sign up.Click here to register for our Thursday Guided Meditation Class
Circle of Grace Class Wednesday, March 20th at 6:00pm-8:00pm
Staying centered and grounded in our hearts can be challenging. So many things can trigger and throw us off balance.
Learn how to stay heart balanced by joining Ali Bowen, The Spa Central Coast Manager & Master Certified Health and Wellness Coach, and Janice Patterson, Intuitive Spiritual Guide, in a sweet, sacred time out called “Circle of Grace.” It will be a time to share, remember, reflect and re-connect with that which is most authentic and important to you. Honoring your true self and staying balanced in that will be key in having a productive year. “Circle of Grace” will be held on Wednesday, March 20 from 6:00pm-8:00pm. Janice is planning to make you something sweet for the holiday.
Please note that this class needs to be pre-paid and there are no refunds. You’re welcome to let a friend or family member come in your place, though, if you ultimately can’t attend. The class is only $20.Click here to register for our Circle of Grace Class
Why Be a Member at The Spa Central Coast?
- $20 off the treatment that the membership is for (savings on our Family Shared plans vary because you get to choose different massages or get a facial).
- You get a members Family & Friends Discount to help spread the happiness. Bring in a friend or family member with you to your next treatment, and your friend or family member will receive $10 off her/his treatment.
- 25% off our monthly featured product from The Spa Central Coast signature line.
- 10% off any additional treatment you have at The Spa.
- You get the same pricing we give you for your treatment at our sister spa, The Day Spa of Ojai.
- You will receive a Spa Member Club Discount card that can be used at many local retailers and restaurants for 10%-15% off their services and goods.
Come visit us or call (805) 591-7157 to become a member today!
What Sets Us Apart from Other Day Spas
(Each month we share one thing that makes us different from the rest)
We are one of the few spas that has visiting specialty therapists.
** Luders, et al (2015). “Estimating brain age using high-resolution pattern recognition: Younger brains in long-term meditation practitioners.” Retrieved from http://www.neuro.uni-jena.de/pdf-files/Luders-NI16.pdf